Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Working on a Marriage

Today I was reading day one of the Love Dare book. I have started this before and I didn't make it through. I could have but, it was sadly not a priority for me. However, having joined the "Love in Action" blog, it has reminded me daily that I need to keep my marriage a priority and that it takes effort to make it work. I can't wake up in the morning, get out of bed without speaking to my husband, get dressed and start getting the girls dressed. This sounds so silly but I so often do it. My alarm goes off in the morning and I often groan my way out of bed and don't even acknowledge my husband. Most of our morning is spent not talking due to me trying to get the girls up, dressed, and fed. Other than a quick bye, we don't talk in the morning. I can see how this rubs off on the rest of our day. I go to work, deal with the Air Force, pick up the girls, try to fix dinner and I am usually stressed by the time I get home. I have noticed that I am snappy with my husband when he asks me what I did that day. Rob (like his mother) asks lots of questions. I feel like I am coming home to an interrogation, he wants to know why I am so secretive. What a HUGE misunderstanding. He is curious about my day, and I take it as a cross-examination. So, todays Dare was not to say anything negative to my spouse. Actually, it was pretty easy. He was mission planning so most of our day was spent apart. Still, I succeeded! I won't blog about this everyday just on days that are significant!

3 comments:

  1. Dana, I wanted to do the Love Dare book too! We were given it at Christmas before I saw the movie. But then we saw it this past month and I loved that! I haven't cracked the title though.

    I get stressed too and find myself "taking it out" on Jonathan. I get stressed about things that don't even matter to him (dinner on time, laundry sitting out, etc). He's deploying in less than a month, and I am trying really hard to just let it go and be a joyful spouse. The Love in Action blog too is helping me refocus over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is really good for Christian wives and mothers to bond over their marital/parental problems. Too often, I think we want everyone to think we are perfect and have no problems, and that is the perfect way for Satan to get a foothold in our lives. I know I struggle with this and am working to overcome it. I admire you so much for saying, "Hey, this really stinks in my life right now!" Kudos to you, sis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a good observation, Dana. I am not always a morning person, so I am probably less than cheerful when I greet my husband in the mornings, too. I know what you mean about misunderstanding each other. Seth and I often jump to conclusions about the other and when we finally discuss it we find our assumptions about the other person's motives are wrong!

    Oh, so are you guys having a boy and naming him Matthew? I assume so because of the title or your blog. :)

    Congratulations!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I'm an outside girl that loves horseback riding, hiking, camping,or anything that involves the great outdoors. I from VA though I currently live in Selfkant-Havert, Germany. I drink excessive amounts of coffee. My imagination often runs away with me usually to an awesome horse farm that is self-sustaining where I teach girls how to mesh being athletic, tough, and leadership quality without loosing that gentle and quiet spirit. According to Suellen from "Gone With the Wind," "You can always tell a lady by her hands." I believe there is some truth to that statement. A lady should be strong and capable of caring for her family, gentle enough to quiet tiny tears, ferocious enough to scare away monsters lurking on the bed, and capable of hosting the next ball. I really love having fun doing things on the adventurous side, and the more dangerous the better. I also enjoy drawing and writing some. I absolutely LOVE Traveling and am drawn magnetically to other countries and adventures!!