Friday, October 23, 2009

Anticipation

As of this week I am 35 weeks pregnant and anxiously awaiting the arrival of our little boy, Matthew Thomas. This pregnancy from the beginning has been a little more difficult than my previous two.

I started out with placenta previa which was a scary time. I started bleeding around week 11 and of course was worried that I was gonna loose my baby. My doctor put me on bed rest for 1 month and the problem cleared within that time. Still, morning sickness was more severe with this little one than in the past. My second trimester passed by rather uneventful and I finally entered number three. I don't recall with my last two pregnancies being this uncomfortable or having such a difficult time sleeping. I often feel that Matthew is trying to stand up inside me and it is very uncomfortable. My appointments have gone pretty uneventful. Last month my doctor was worried because my cervix was already softening up quite a bit. My blood sugar level was high as well. He told me to lay off the sweets, and to take it easy. Well, I do work full time and have two girlies at home to care for so, taking it easy is difficult. He told me at the least to stop exercising until after delivery. I had been attending an awesome spin class twice a week for an hour. Anyway, I retook the glucose test and it came back fine this time.

So, now I await delivery! Even though this is my third delivery, I am still scared. I live in Germany now and though I have visited the hospital and memorized what I need to do once I go into labor, it still scares me that there is a language barrier. My doctor speaks excellent English but, doctors don't attend the delivery unless problems arise. I will be attended by a midwife, which does not speak English. I paid a visit to the maternity ward at the local hospital and I will admit that I was impressed. The rooms were all private and really big. They contained a bed, birthing chair, tub, and a series of ropes hanging from the ceiling. I'm unsure about the ropes but, the chair seemed like a perfect option. The rooms I noticed were very warm, like too warm. I asked the lady giving the hospital tour about the temperature and she told us that the rooms were kept exceptionally warm because they didn't want the baby to be shocked, temperature wise, when they were born. I guess my biggest concern is being in a severe amount of pain and not being able to relay to the nurse or midwife that I need help. So, for the three nice people that follow my blog, say a prayer for me here and there that God will grant me a safe delivery.

There are several things they do in Germany that they don't in the US and it worries me. First of all, they have no modesty at all. I was told that if I wanted to be covered during delivery, that I had to bring my own gown. The hospitals in Germany don't provide any form of gown. Secondly, they are anti-medication. A friend of mine underwent a hysterecomy here and they gave her no painkillers afterward. That bothers me as well. Last of all, I was told that they don't wash the baby the first day. They wipe them off to get the big stuff off but, once again, they don't want to put the baby through too much. These may sound like silly things to worry about, but I still do. I am very excited about meeting my baby. Nothing is as wonderful as hearing that first cry. Well, I guess I have rambled too much now, I had a bit on my mind. Thanks to those that read.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dana,

    I hope you don't mind that I follow your blog. I just found it from Karen's Deeds of Love blog.

    I just want to say, you are very BRAVE to be giving birth to a baby in a foreign country. I would do it as well, I just mean I admire you.

    It HAS been a trying pregnancy. I had a friend with placenta previa and the scariness of the bleeding was just a nightmare. I was scared almost my whole two trimesters just from a previous miscarriage (and not even bleeding this time).

    I actually wanted my own gown, in labor/delivery, & brought 2, as I hate hospital gowns. But the anti-med thing I can see would be worrisome. Can you get your dr on base to give you something to take afterwards if you need it? I don't know about your previous deliveries, but I only needed 3-4 ibuprofen after.

    Don't be worried about the washing the baby. They are not dirty actually. We didn't wash ours til she was a week old. The vernix is anti-bacterial to protect the baby (I think, I can't remember where I read it & I had to spout off untrue stuff!). It may sound gross, but really it does wipe off and the baby looks/smells/etc fine. :) Now if you WANT a bath, you can give it at home no problem, or maybe at the hospital later? Just a thought. I know a few people who choose to not subject their baby to a naked bath while they're so new and little.

    I will be praying for Matthew's birth, health, and your comfort and safety!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dana,

    As you may tell from my previous comments, I am going through your recent blog posts backwards! Please disregard the silly question about whether your baby is a boy from the previous, or I should say, most recent post! :)

    Anyway, I have to say that I too would be a little nervous about giving birth in a foreign hospital myself! Oh my...yes I will be praying for you! As far as pain meds and such, you can look into taking liquid calcium. I began taking it when I knew I was in labor with Michael. I took about 2 tablespoons (not sure how many mgs that is, can't remember) every hour or two. That was my easiest labor as far as pain goes. I didn't even realize I was in transition until my midwife checked me and said I was 8cm!

    Also, I'm with Denise about giving the baby a bath. I rubbed the extra vernix into my babies skin and bathed them all a few days later (I think I waited 6 days with Katrina!) It is good for their skin, like Denise mentioned.

    Ah, and about the modesty issue. Well, I had all three of my children at home so I was free to wear what I wanted. With all three scenarios I had bought a summer nightgown (different for each birth) that was sleeveless and came up above my knees. It was very comfortable and yet I still felt modest in front of my midwife and her assistant. I am probably more shy about revealing my body than even normally modest people are, so I was afraid how I would be, but I realized that once I was in the throes (sp?) of intense labor and pushing I couldn't have cared less about who saw me and what I was wearing! That being said, I still understand the problem and you want to be able to be as relaxed as possible and not have any distractions.

    Last thing, do you practice the Bradley Method? I've used it with all my deliveries and have found it very useful to help cope with the pain.

    Well, again I will pray and hope everything goes well. God bless!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I'm an outside girl that loves horseback riding, hiking, camping,or anything that involves the great outdoors. I from VA though I currently live in Selfkant-Havert, Germany. I drink excessive amounts of coffee. My imagination often runs away with me usually to an awesome horse farm that is self-sustaining where I teach girls how to mesh being athletic, tough, and leadership quality without loosing that gentle and quiet spirit. According to Suellen from "Gone With the Wind," "You can always tell a lady by her hands." I believe there is some truth to that statement. A lady should be strong and capable of caring for her family, gentle enough to quiet tiny tears, ferocious enough to scare away monsters lurking on the bed, and capable of hosting the next ball. I really love having fun doing things on the adventurous side, and the more dangerous the better. I also enjoy drawing and writing some. I absolutely LOVE Traveling and am drawn magnetically to other countries and adventures!!