Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Today's Doctor Appointment

Another appointment down, just a few more to go. I went to my doctor's office today and for the first time since I found out I was pregnant, I didn't have to do bloodwork. YAY! One of the things different about delivering in Germany is that they require lab work every single appointment. Having a urine test is normal but they also require blood work every appointment. However, this week was an exception, only a urine sample was required. I checked in and went and sat in the waiting room where I browsed through German magazines and sipped sparkling water, ugh. The nurse called me back and did weight and blood pressure then I had to lie down for 30 minutes while they monitor the baby's heart beat. This could be an enjoyable time except for the machine sounds more like a goose honking than it does a heartbeat. After this was over, I returned to the weighting room for about 10 minutes until Dr. Kaschel called me back. Here is another instance that is unique to my German experience with OB doctors. I go in the doctor's office and sit down and he asks questions and chats, very personable, nothing is rushed. I side-step a bit to tell you about my very first appointment. I met the doctor and he invited me into his office and proceeded to tell me why he liked being a doctor and why he liked delivering babies. This doctor I have also seen climb on a table and beat a printer that was jammed. As you see, this is not typical doctor behavior. For those that have babies, you know your first appointment usual entails a pelvic exam. Regardless of how many of these you have, they never become "second nature" or easy or something you don't dread. However, my first appointment when I got into position which, is a chair in germany not a table, he looked at me and asked, "Have you ever been to Mount Kilimanjaro?" Needless to say it was a good distraction. Anyway, I digress. He asked me how I was feeling, if I was tired, if I was having contractions, any bleeding, etc. Then he tells me to get ready for my pelvic exam. He has a closet-like space in his office that opens into the exam room. The closet space is for you to take your clothes off. Being use to dealing with Americans, whom Europeans say are rediculously modest, he provides a towel to wrap around your waste so that you don't have to parade out naked. Here is another difference between German and American OBs. You get a pelvic exam every single appointment. He told me today that my cervix was starting to open so make sure that I call him immediately if I should start with contractions since I am about 4 weeks from my due date. The only other difference in today's appointment is that I didn't get an ultrasound. Once again, unlike the US, we have ultrasounds every single appointment. All I can say is that German doctors are either very thorough or, they are gouging Tricare for everything they can. Anyway, that was my appointment today. Everything is good with the mild exception of already starting to dilate. His guesstimate is about 2 more weeks. We will see what it brings...maybe a baby!

1 comment:

  1. I enjoy reading about the differences with other doctors in other countries. My next door neighbor is prior army, and she delivered her 1st in Germany as well. She told me about the chairs. And I've read enough on forums to know about how the Europeans feel about our American "modesty".. . LOL!!! Whatever!

    From two years worth of fertility testing, treatment, and doing in-vitro twice, I have to say pelvic exam-type things just don't bother me anymore. The first time I went for an ultrasound when I was miscarrying, the tech got out the abdominal wand, and I was all confused and asked her, "Um, the baby's too small, shouldn't this be trans-vaginal?" She was a bit flustered and said, "Well, yes, most people don't like those or expect them, so we just try this first...." Ha.

    I like that he told you why he liked what he did!!!

    Oh yeah, one thing I WISH all drs offices would do (when they make you undress).. Give a sheet! The infertility clinic tells you to undress from the waist down, and then they give you a twin-size bed sheet for covering!!!! It's so much better than the stupid paper gowns!!!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I'm an outside girl that loves horseback riding, hiking, camping,or anything that involves the great outdoors. I from VA though I currently live in Selfkant-Havert, Germany. I drink excessive amounts of coffee. My imagination often runs away with me usually to an awesome horse farm that is self-sustaining where I teach girls how to mesh being athletic, tough, and leadership quality without loosing that gentle and quiet spirit. According to Suellen from "Gone With the Wind," "You can always tell a lady by her hands." I believe there is some truth to that statement. A lady should be strong and capable of caring for her family, gentle enough to quiet tiny tears, ferocious enough to scare away monsters lurking on the bed, and capable of hosting the next ball. I really love having fun doing things on the adventurous side, and the more dangerous the better. I also enjoy drawing and writing some. I absolutely LOVE Traveling and am drawn magnetically to other countries and adventures!!