Sunday, November 15, 2009

One on one time

Today was my first attempt at one on one time with one of my girls. I had to run to the commissary but the rest of the family didn't want to go. Rebekah, my 2yr old, was dying to go. So, I snatched the opportunity. She loves taking a ride so, we went to the commissary and picked up the groceries we needed. I let Rebekah pick out something to make for dessert since she loves to cook. I was willing to do something time-consuming with her but, she really wanted the pre-cut sugar cookies with the pictures in them. She picked out reindeer sugar cookies. Rebekah also got to pick whatever cereal she wanted for the week. We ended up with chocolate Lucky Charms soooo, we may modify that one next time. However, we arrived at home and she showed her cookies to daddy and sister and let them know she would be making them cookies after dinner. Times like these I see the character traits in Rebekah that I worry are lacking. She accompanied me to the kitchen and helped me put dishes away so that we could start cooking. She loves to help and has a servant heart. We had a wonderful time together which is priceless since she is often labeled the "difficult" child. Moments that we spend together laughing instead of at odds is rare and so treasured.

1 comment:

  1. Dana....
    How beautiful!!! I was all grins reading about this!!! What a neat way to be so intentional with your time!

    I think it's funny how we can have grandiose plans and children are just happy for something simple... like the reindeer cookies she picked out! I KNOW when I was little, I'd have done the same thing. B/c they look so festive, and we NEVER bought them... hence why they were so coveted! :) When I've babysat friends' kids overnight, I've always tried to bake cutout cookies for decorating with them.... Haha. I discovered their attention span isn't that long. It's better for me to prepare the dough ahead of time (or buy it pre-prepared), mix the icing ahead, and just let them do the cutters and sprinkles/frosting. :) Not how I imagined, but I'm learning.

    (BTW, LOL @ the cereal. wWe always chose Cookie Crisp or Lucky Charms. But we had 10 people in the house & Mom was buying 3 cereals anyway, so it didn't quite matter as much.)

    I think we can see our children's areas of character weakness and worry about if we're doing enough to help those areas. We do need to train them, but at the same time give them lots of praise and affirmation. I know the Lord will give wisdom for which times need which method. I love how she wanted to let her dad and sister know she would be making them treats! How precious.... and to have the follow-through to come help you unload?? So sweet!!!

    I love this post because you are doing such a sweet job building relationships with your children, even though your plate is so full!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I'm an outside girl that loves horseback riding, hiking, camping,or anything that involves the great outdoors. I from VA though I currently live in Selfkant-Havert, Germany. I drink excessive amounts of coffee. My imagination often runs away with me usually to an awesome horse farm that is self-sustaining where I teach girls how to mesh being athletic, tough, and leadership quality without loosing that gentle and quiet spirit. According to Suellen from "Gone With the Wind," "You can always tell a lady by her hands." I believe there is some truth to that statement. A lady should be strong and capable of caring for her family, gentle enough to quiet tiny tears, ferocious enough to scare away monsters lurking on the bed, and capable of hosting the next ball. I really love having fun doing things on the adventurous side, and the more dangerous the better. I also enjoy drawing and writing some. I absolutely LOVE Traveling and am drawn magnetically to other countries and adventures!!