Friday, November 20, 2009

Last doctor's visit

Today I had another doctor visit and it was different. First of all, there was no lab work. The nurses hooked me up to the fetal monitor for half an hour but, the machine kept loosing the heart rate. I repositioned several times before I found a posititon that picked up a strong heart beat. I went to the waiting room and the doctor came in shortly after and threw his hands up in the air in a childish manner and said, "Mrs. Young, you still aren't having contractions!" I told him that I knew that but what could I do? He put his arm around me and walked me to his office and said, "Lets see if there is any progress with your cervix." Unfortunately, there had been no progress. I was bummed but, no big deal I wasn't due until next Friday. Still, my doctor seemed unhappy with this. He asked me how labor had progressed with my other two children. I told him that I had been induced with my previous two because my doctor was going on holiday. He just stood there and looked at me for like 10 seconds. I didn't know what to think and then he said, "We can try next week if you want to." So, I said sure. He asked me how I had been induced with the other two. He wanted to know if the doctor had given me a pill. I told him that I was given an IV of pitocin (sp?) and the doctor broke my water. He wanted to know how long it took for me to deliver. My response was 4 hours start to finish. So, he seemed happy. He then said that he was hoping I would go into labor this weekend so that he wouldn't have to induce me. This whole afternoon confused me. Dr. Kaschel has a strict policy about inducing. In fact, my friend who is 3 days past due hasn't been induced yet. I don't know why he decided to do so with me. Anyway, I'm happy!!

1 comment:

  1. Well, I think maybe the doctor decided with you, because obviously from your last two deliveries, your body does very well with inductions.

    By asking about the pill, I think he was checking to see if they'd used Cytotec for inducing you (I think it's illegal in Europe for this use, not sure). Anyway, I think he sounds like he'd prefer pitocin, since it's what the body produces anyway. If a previous induction did not lead to fetal distress or lead you to a c-section, then you're a good candidate for it in his eyes, that's my opinion.

    I'll tell you what I'd have been thinking if you told me you were induced b/c a doctor was going on holiday, "What? Who decided that - the doctor or you? If the doctor didn't want you to deliver w/o him and scheduled you for his convenience...." Ok I won't go into finishing the thought, but he perhaps hadn't heard of this before, or he was just going through the scenarios.

    I think he sounds more traditional, and he'd probably prefer your body to go into labor naturally so you don't even have to consider an induction. But he must feel good about doing it anyway, if it comes to that.

    I can't wait to hear about Matthew's arrival! It's coming soon!!! So very, very exciting! I'll be praying for you every day until delivery!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I'm an outside girl that loves horseback riding, hiking, camping,or anything that involves the great outdoors. I from VA though I currently live in Selfkant-Havert, Germany. I drink excessive amounts of coffee. My imagination often runs away with me usually to an awesome horse farm that is self-sustaining where I teach girls how to mesh being athletic, tough, and leadership quality without loosing that gentle and quiet spirit. According to Suellen from "Gone With the Wind," "You can always tell a lady by her hands." I believe there is some truth to that statement. A lady should be strong and capable of caring for her family, gentle enough to quiet tiny tears, ferocious enough to scare away monsters lurking on the bed, and capable of hosting the next ball. I really love having fun doing things on the adventurous side, and the more dangerous the better. I also enjoy drawing and writing some. I absolutely LOVE Traveling and am drawn magnetically to other countries and adventures!!